Author: Chris Lenz
– 1.8 is out
– Looks grim to get a release out on 8th. We need more testing, one day is not enough. And we never release on fridays… I’ll keep you posted
– Chests are now open when you open them.
– Ivy can grow down from floating islands…and it looks pretty awesome
– Pigs have snouts
– You can bind any action to a mouse button now, or to a keyboard key
– Villages only spawn on flat areas
– Fog-toggle-key has been removed?
– http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/109665779259158528- Fog-toggle-key has been removed?
– Swamp biomes are in! But look kinda boring.
– NPCs will NOT be in 1.8, but will be including in 1.9
– Arrow damage is based on speed.
– Shooting from above does more damage because of gravity
– Amount of health you lose if all your food is gone
– If the the food bar is empty in MC 1.8, it will slowly drop your health to 5 hearts on easy, to 0.5 hearts on normal, and kill you on hard
– Notch writes about how he likes developing games.
– Mobs now randomly flee if you attack them
– Animal breeding is pushed back to 1.9
– Endermen drop Ender Pearls
– Oceans are friggin huge….really huge
– The food meter goes down wayyy too fast
Lava Bucket 10 (9/1/11)
– 1.8 in a week?
– “Jeb says notch wants to release the update next week.”
– Jahkob says in 2 or 3 weeks
– Jeb says September 8
– The plan right now is to release the “PAX version” of Minecraft ASAP, but there is some crucial work remaining. Sep 8th is a good guess
– This is why Notch is awesome
– @notch I downloaded your game in tpb,deal with that (elhinnn)
– @elhinnn I hope you like it. I’d prefer it if you bought it, but I haven’t lost a single dollar from you downloading it. (notch)
– Rivers are in the game!
– They either hit the ocean, or loop back. I know looped rivers don’t make much sense, but it works. ;D (Notch on Twitter)
– Map of 1.8 world with rivers.
– Notch is adding HUGE oceans and HUGE islands
– Trying to balance gameplay against scale is interesting. I can do HUGE oceans with HUGE islands very easily and fast now, but it plays bad.
– Bigger islands = bigger biomes. Deserts like to be big.
– But the bigger the islands are, the bigger the biomes can be. And deserts want to be big.
– DEEP oceans, check.
– Volcanoes are a possibility?!
– @jeb_ will there be volcanoes in the new map generator?
– Fence gates are confirmed!
– Gameplay of 1.8 at PAX
(list of stuff shown off in the video in case you don’t feel like watching it all)
– New title screen. No more dirt, now Minecraft screenshot of some sort
– Zombies now drop rotting flesh
– @KrisEike it gives you food, but also poisons you
– Notch says that rain is 1000 times better than before
– Notch is considering adding rain forests, swamps, and probably volcanoes. Notch really wants to add swamps
– Dungeons also include ‘abandoned mineshafts’, complete with broken minecart tracks and wooden tunnel archways to prevent caveins.
– Guy asked if the Nether was getting work, Notch said something that sounded like it was along the lines of “not in 1.8, but soon after, yes”.
– Water damages Endermen
– New particle effect for the bedrock layer, if you break through to the void you now take damage and eventually die
– Notch is thinking of releasing 1.8 in “segments” due to the update having multiple features that need refining.
– Iron bars are in villages, at the smiths
– Ivy can be placed on walls
– Smooth stone and brick stairs
– Smooth stone and brick slabs
– BLUE spiders poison you.
– Blue spiders will be found in abandoned mineshafts
– Blue spider spawner (spiderwebs)
– NPCs give quests
– Worlds may be able to have buildings build in their seeds
– What he’s talking about: http://i.imgur.com/UtP7i.jpg
– List of all new items coming in 1.8
– BENDERMAN!!! ZOMG!
Bonus, listen to any song while looking at this: http://i52.tinypic.com/295eiv9.gif
Lava Bucket 9 (8/17/11)
– Notch challenges Bethesda to Quake 3!
-Minecraft for Android is here! — Only for Xperia Play devices – $7
– Camera in Minecraft Portable Edition?
– Jeb teases villages
– Yep, just a screenshot
– Scalable biome code!
– New drops for zombies!
– Currently they drop a new item, not sure if it’s final though
– Jeb makes changes to some food items
– Nine new crafting recipes added in 1.8 (151 in 1.7.3 — 160 in 1.8)
Lava Bucket 8 (8/11/11)
– Bethesda is suing Mojang!
– Scrolls infringes on The Elder Scrolls
– Basically, Bethesda’s lawyers says that Scrolls infringes on The Elder Scrolls trademark.
– Also, EA tried to purchase Mojang.
– Minecraft has sold over 3 million copies
– Players can claim land
– @OskarBurman Because players can claim land and might not want those walls. 😉 But don’t tell anyone yet! (notch)
– @notch [why] can’t you just put a low stone wall around all towns? (OskarBurman)
– Villages have wells.
– Villages/towns will be considered its’ own biome.
– Biome code is being reworked. Rivers!
– Notch and Jeb talk about town borders
– Town borders will be able to be seen from a distance.
– Jeb is working on blacksmiths
– Haha my smithy keeps setting the whole village on fire. I need to contain that lava better…
– ENDERMEN ARE PEACEFUL………ish!
– The Endermen are peaceful. If you look straight at them, they freeze and look at you. When you look away again, they run fast. And teleport.
– They run TOWARDS you, not away. So if you happen to look at one, do not look away.
– (they stop being peaceful if you look straight at them)
– Wearing a pumpkin on your head makes it so you can look at Endermen. (also, possible screenshot of a town?)
– Posted on Reddit
– Minecraft shirts in Battlefield Heroes.
– Yes, it really is a slow news week this week.
– Recap of upcoming features
This week on Lava Bucket, we talk about a new block we’ve all been looking forward to, a death penalty, a quick combat update, food, food, and more food, real bosses, towns and the introduction of a new friend.
– OF COURSE, it was posted RIGHT after we recorded the podcast.
– NOT able to be placed horizontal yet.
Be careful! You lose ALL XP!
– “When you die you lose all levels. You lose all XP”
– Notch is quoted in an interview with PC Gamer saying “I’m a big roguelike fan. It’s really fun. The idea is that you level up really, really fast. You can grind away and level up fast if you want to, or you can just play as normal and level up that way. The longer you play, the bigger the risk of dying becomes. It’s the part that really works. If it feels like it’s too harsh, we might make it half or something like that. But the fact that you lose everything – you lose all your inventory anyways.”
-”I kind of figured out that a really good test of what works or not is when I go back to 1.7.3 – the previous version. If it feels like it’s lacking that feature, if it feels like it should be in there.”
– Hitting a mob while rushing now sends them flying. It’s satisfying, and I’m giggling a bit.
Food will be stackable!
– “Food will be stackabel everywhere” – Jeb
– Chicken item sprite updated
Bosses are pretty much confirmed.
– “I tend to get influenced by lots of things,” admitted Notch. “The way they [Terreria] handle the boss fights is very interesting. Where you kind of cause the boss to appear so you can kind of battle the boss on your own terms.
“That might end up somehow in Minecraft I guess. Perhaps not the same kind of ritual or whatever, but I really like that idea.”
-I’ve spent a day and a half trying to make town borders look good, and I’m getting very sick of it. Back to combat tweaking for a while!
FIVE NEW FOOD ITEMS
– Screenshot of new food item (chicken):
MELONS and PUMPKINS
– Melons are new, pumpkins can now be planted and grown.
– http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1182014p1.html (melons and pumpkins are mentioned on page 2)
DUNGEON NEWS UPDATE
– Bosses! ….possibly (that would be awesome)
“The random dungeons are part of the terrain, and will contain a reason to explore them. It’s likely our first boss monster may appear in the dungeons, but we haven’t gotten that far in their development yet. “ (Source)
– Still remains at 128, but it is easier to modify now.
EXPERIENCE AND HUNGER
– 1.8 Possible release date/time period?
– End of August?
– Notch tweeted “The Minecraft Adventure Update will be playable in our booth at Pax.”
– Google+ -ed:
“Mojang will be at PAX. We’ll have the first playable version of the Adventure Update there, and it will be released to the public once we’ve addressed the feedback we get at PAX.
Yes, this is a marketing thing. 😉 But also, we’re doing some pretty bold changes to the game, and knowing we have the time to just play around with features we might now want to release is pretty liberating. Combat in 1.8, for example, is already way more fun than in 1.7, but it need further tweaking.”
Confirmed in Minecraft 1.8
– 12 new tiles added to terrain.png so far (http://i.imgur.com/v1dtt.png)
– STRONGHOLDS / RUINS! (http://i.imgur.com/uznZ7.png)
– 3 New brick types!
– Bricked Cobblestone (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Stone_Brick)
– Mossy Bricked Cobblestone (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Mossy_Stone_Brick)
– Cracked Bricked Cobblestone (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Cracked_Stone_Brick)
– Iron Bars / Chains (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Iron_Bars)
– Not 100% confirmed
– Used for jail cells
– BIG ONES THIS TIME
“Blocking with RMB while holding a weapon is totally useless unless enemies tell you when they’re about to attack. So I’ll guess we’ll have to add attack animations for all hostile mobs!”
– Bow Mechanics
– Charge up for shooting.
Episode 4 will be coming next week!